There are around 20 million people with thyroid disorder only in U.S., according to the American Thyroid Association.
The location of this gland is in the front part of the neck area, and it plays a major role in the everyday functions of the human’s body. It stimulates the metabolism, and together with the parathyroid gland controls the circulation of calcium in the body.
The thing is, you might have ignored this gland until you started experiencing some thyroid-related problem. This is a huge mistake that most people do, and not only in regards to the thyroid gland but also to their overall health.
The production of thyroid hormone can be thrown out of balance, which can result in many different health problems.
The thyroid gland belongs to the endocrine system, whose distinctive delivery system works by sending hormones to specific tissues and organs. And here comes the interesting part. Apparently, essential oils use the same delivery system.
What’s more, researchers have proven that some essential oils support the function of the endocrine system. Nevertheless, you should consult your doctor before considering using any essential oil for treating your thyroid disorder.
- Frankincense essential oil comes from the resin of Boswellia trees which undergoes steam distillation. It supports the function of the hypothalamus, pineal, and pituitary gland– all related to the function of the endocrine system in the body.
- Sandalwood essential oil comes from the Santalum trees by means of distillation. Just like frankincense oil, it supports the function of the hypothalamus, pineal, and pituitary gland.
- Geranium essential oil comes from the leaves of the flowering plant Pelargonium. It provides support for the adrenal and glandular gland (hormones).
- Ylang ylang essential oil comes from the flowers of Ylang plant. Once again, it supports the function of the glandular and adrenal gland.
- Clove essential oil is one of the best oils for proper function of the thyroid gland. It comes from the buds native to Madagascar.
- The end product of lemongrass leaves distillation is lemongrass essential oil. It offers great support for the thyroid gland, and together with clove oil create a potent mixture that’s excellent for your thyroid health.
- The popular rosemary plant is used for the production of rosemary essential oil. It stimulates and supports the function of many glands, especially the adrenal gland, as well as that of the brain.
- Myrrh essential oil comes from the resin collected from Ethiopian trees. Besides being great for your thyroid health, this oil is also beneficial to your overall health, as it boosts the immune system.
- Basil essential oil comes from basil leaves which undergo steam distillation. This oil supports the function of many vital glands including pancreas, pineal, parathyroid, pituitary, and adrenal gland.
How To Use These Essential Oils For Thyroid Health
Here are several great ways to use these oils to improve the health of your thyroid gland.
1. Mix a drop of myrrh essential oil with some coconut oil, and apply on your neck in the area of the thyroid gland on a daily basis.
2. Apply a drop of basil oil in the area of your adrenal glands (just above kidneys) in the morning. Rub gently.
3. Here’s a great essential oil rollerball blend recipe. Rub it on your feet soles every day. Mix 20 drops of each of the following essential oils: myrrh, frankincense, basil, and lemongrass essential oil. Then, use coconut, jojoba or other carrier oil to fill up the roller ball.
Choose one of the listed essential oils and dilute it with your favorite carrier oil. This will prevent sensitivity and evaporation. Rub over the glands’ region or to the reflex points on your feet which correspond to these glands.
Pour 5 to 10 drops of some of these oils in an essential oil diffuser. Another option is to inhale straight from the bottle, or apply several drops on your hands and then breathe into your cupped hands. Also, you can put several drops of the chosen essential oil on your clothing.