Jackfruit looks very similar to durian but it certainly doesn’t smell and taste like the latter. It tastes really sweet when ripe. Many people are quick to say that it’s like eating something that equally boasts of the tropical and sunshiny flavors of banana and pineapple.
When unripe, jackfruit makes for an excellent meat substitute as it kind of tastes like chicken.
It’s true that a jackfruit is quite challenging to carry and peel. However, a special place in your heart will surely be reserved for this tropical gem once you’re through reading about its various surprising health benefits.
1. Jackfruit contains potassium, a mineral needed by the circulatory system. Potassium helps in themaintenance of ideal blood pressure. It also helps reduce your risk of stroke.
2. Jackfruit energizes you because it contains carbohydrates and sugar. Fret not because the kindsthis super fruit contains are good for you as they are released in the bloodstream at a steady pace, keeping blood glucose spikes at bay.
3. Vitamin C in jackfruit is essential for a stronger immune system. The nutrient helps protect yourbody from microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses and fungi. What’s more, vitamin C is necessary for the health of your skin, teeth, cartilage and bones. Being an antioxidant, vitamin C helps protect your cells from being damaged by those harmful free radicals.
4. Aside from vitamin C, jackfruit also contains vitamin A necessary for sharper vision and healthyeyes.
5. Plantbased pigments in the bright yellow flesh of jackfruit have superb anticancer properties.Acting as antioxidants, they eliminate excess free radicals that may cause healthy cells to mutate and cause cancer.
6. With so many antioxidants around, the consumption of jackfruit helps in slowing down the agingprocess. Eating the tropical fruit is a great way to maintain your youthful appeal and keep those premature signs of skin aging at bay.
7. Both calcium and magnesium jackfruit contains are vital for the health of your teeth and bones.
8. Iron in jackfruit is necessary for the production of red blood cells, making this fruit a tasty andeffective anemiabuster.
9. Jackfruit contains copper, a mineral that is crucial for the thyroid gland as it helps in the normalproduction of hormones. Copper also helps ward off depression, anxiety and panic attack.
10. Dietary fiber in jackfruit promotes regular bowel movement, saving you from ending upconstipated. It’s also a good idea to eat this fruit if you are suffering from certain digestive disorders such as acid reflux and ulcer.