Yesterday, I got somewhat carried away while working out over the weekend and did a bit more than I could manage.
Although I did feel fresh and nice thereafter but was also very tired by the time I reached home. I wanted to just lie down and do nothing; and then suddenly remembered the homemade energy drink that my friend Maria gave me last time when I was at Canada. That was also when we were tired after a daylong trekking. After having that, I had suddenly felt full of energy.
The name that she gave the drink was limeade – something similar to and yet different from the ordinary lemonade which we normally have.
I tried making my own version of limeade based on what I remembered and was surprised how simple and easy it was. I really felt full of energy and am sharing the same with you; just in case you feel the need of sudden burst of energy after a long time tiring day.
As the name suggests, limeade is made with lime with a dash of sugar in it. However if you are more health conscious like me, it would be prudent to substitute sugar with honey. It would make it taste almost similar and yet retain the health benefits.
I am giving just 2 variants of limeade but there is certainly no limit to the number of permutations and combinations you can carry out by your own innovations.
- Fresh lime juice – 1 cup (use 7 to 8 limes)
- Filtered water or soda – 5 cups
- Honey – 1/4 cup (you can also use agave nectar)
- Coconut sugar – 1 Tbsp. (can use any other sugar or honey)
- Ice – to serve
- Tequila (Optional) – 30 ml
Squeeze all the limes using a citrus juicer (or by hand) till you have about 1 cupful of lime juice. Mix this juice with water in a large bowl. To this add sugar or honey and mix it well till it dissolves. You can use an egg beater for mixing. Thereafter, add and mix coconut sugar into it until it gets fully dissolved. Serve this over a few cubes of ice.
Ginger Blackberry Limeade
- About 4 cups of fresh blackberries (you can also use frozen blackberries)
- One cup of honey or natural Cane sugar (you can also use palm sugar or any other sweetening agent)
- Grated Lime zest – 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom pods lightly crushed – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh lime juice of 8 limes (1 cup)
- Lemon slices for garnishing
- Ginger Ale – 2 cups (you may like to use sparkling water instead of Ginger ale)
- Ice cubes as required
- Vodka – 30 ml (If required)
Bring the water to boil and add blackberries and sugar to it. Let it boil for about 10 minutes stirring it so that it does not got stuck to the bottom.
After it cools down, pour it through a strainer into a bowl. Keep it aside in a fridge till it cools down. Add ginger ale and other ingredients into it and mix them gently.
Take a few ice cubes in a tall glass and pour Vodka into it. Then add the mixture and garnish it using the lemon slice and serve.
You can try other similar options; just remember that the main ingredients are lime juice and sugar or honey. The other items can be added as per your requirement.
Limeade is excellent source of restoring the body’s water content as well as minerals and salts and thus provides an immediate burst of energy.