I am quite aware that following a good diet plan could be quite a challenge; that too if it is a healthy low carb diet. It is more because of “knowing” what exactly is right and what is not.
So I thought I make a list of very friendly foods that would make the ideal choice for you as far as low carb diet is concerned. This is just to ensure that you are able to keep to this diet whatever happens.
I will of course, also be giving helpful hints in between, that would see you through understanding foods that we should have and also certain food that we should avoid while following this diet plan.
First let us first consider what we should be eating
It is important to understand that we should eat good quality meat, nuts, yoghurt and vegetables and also we should consume fruits sometimes.
Remember, diet is not about just losing weight but it’s also about leading a very healthy lifestyle. We should make changes that should be last long lasting.
List of items that we should be eating regularly
Good quality meat from Grain fed animals
Healthy fats- we should have saturated fat like coconut oil, butter, fat from avocado and olive oil, etc only lean cuts and fat from animal sources
List of things that we should eat occasionally
- Vegetables and fruits. Things like mushrooms, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, sprouts, and turnips
- Root vegetables like spring onions, garlic, mushroom, pumpkin
- Vegetables like sprouts and water chestnuts
- All types of berries like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. Also include olives in your diet.
- Good quality dairy products like grains fed animals,
- Beef as well as poultry from healthy sources like farms.
- Dairy products like cottage cheese, sour cream, etc. Try to avoid the items marketed as low fat because they are normally packed with sugar.
- Have a lot of nuts as well as seeds in your diet. Have things like almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds etc and make them a part of your diet
- You can have sugar free tomato puree and ketchup only when needed occasionally.
- Condiments can be added to food preparations to increase the taste of your food. Also they are good for your health in moderate quantities.
- You can easily have dried fruit, salad, berries etc in small quantities but cashew nuts should be avoided as they are high on cholesterol.
- Contrary to popular belief, some amount of alcohol can be consumed if is especially dry red wine or white wine and varieties of other unsweetened spirits.
Food that should be avoided completely
- Avoid food totally that is rich in carbohydrates ; that includes meat cuts from factory farmed animals as well as processed foods
- All type of grains, even the whole meal grains (like oats, wheat, barley, millet, rice, amaranth, sprouted grains, etc) is best avoided as it contains carbs and gluten. Also, all products made of these grains should be avoided(bread, pizza, cookies, etc.)
- sugar and all type of sweat items (table sugar, maple syrup, ice creams, sweet puddings, cakes as well as soft-drinks and syrups)
- Factory-farmed pork as well as fish. They are rich in omega-6 fatty acids that are inflammatory. Besides this, farmed fish may contain high levels of mercury.
- Artificial commercially available sweeteners like Equal, Splenda, Acesulfame, Sucralose, as well as sweeteners that contain Aspartame, Saccharin, etc are best kept away if you wish to have good health.
- Refined fats and oils (e.g. cottonseed, canola, sunflower, safflower, soybean, corn oil and grape seed also avoid Trans fats such like margarine.
- Avoid “Low-fat”, “zero-carb” and “low-carb” products too (diet soda and drinks, mints and chewing gums as they may have high carbs content.
- Processed foods like almond milk products; also all products that have MSG, sulphites, wheat gluten, etc are best avoided.
- Milk (except small amounts) – Milk is difficult to digest, lacks “good” bacteria and may contain high amount of hormones hence is not recommended. Also, it is high in carb content. Even for making coffee or tea, it is better to replace it with cream.
- Tropical fruit like pineapples, banana, mango, papaya, etc and high-carb fruit like tangerine and grapes are best avoided along with all types fruit juices (yes, even 100% fresh juices) due to high sugar and low fiber content.
- Also, avoid soy products except from the non-GMO fermented products.
Remember, a ketogenic diet plan necessitates tracking the carbohydrate levels in your foods and keeping the carbohydrate intake strictly between 20 to 60 grams every day.