It is always wiser to prevent than to cure.
- Limit the work load on the kidney: change your diet to lower toxins intake. By doing so, kidneys will eliminate the toxins from the blood through urination.
- Drink plenty of fluids: we all know it is very important to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. Kidneys are filters of toxic waste and if we do not drink enough water, all the toxins stay in our bloodstream.
- Eat cleansing foods: the healthiest foods are fruits and vegetables. They provide us with vitamins, minerals, and essential fibers. These foods are also rich in antioxidants which can help preventing cancer and other serious diseases.
What is necessary to eat?
- Egg whites provide protein, addition to being the highest quality of protein with all the essential amino acids with less phosphorus than other protein sources such as egg yolk or meats.
- Cabbage– High in vitamin K, vitamin C and fiber, cabbage is also a good source of vitamin B6 and folic acid. Low in potassium and low in cost, it’s an affordable addition to the kidney diet.
- Red bell peppers– Red bell peppers are low in potassium. This tasty vegetable is also an excellent source of lycopene, vitamin C and vitamin A, as well as vitamin B6, folic acid and fiber.
- Grapes – are an excellent choice for detoxifying the kidneys as they help to flush out excess uric acid from the system.
- Cranberries -contain an essential nutrient and antioxidant called proanthocyanidin. They are also rich in quinine, which converts to a substance called hippuric acid that helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
- Magnesium intake: in order to have your kidneys working properly, it is important to take enough magnesium. You can do that by eating as many dark green vegetables, seeds, nuts, and whole grains.
- Cut the Sodium, salt, and protein: Our body spends a huge amount of energy eliminating unnecessary things like excess protein, salt, and water. Excess salt can lead to high blood pressure, which can be harmful to our health in overall. Also, kidney malfunction can occur if they need to deal with excess protein (more than 1 gm. / kg of body weight).
- Calcium mineral supplements: kidneys have the main role in calcium supplement supply in the body. Up on reduced calcium intake, a hormone is actually released. This hormone in conjunction with vitamin D encourages release of calcium through bones which is soaked up from the intestine. However though, kidney is actually actively involved in staying away from osteoporosis, excess calcium supplement in kidney stones. So, it is very important to have a balanced diet full of calcium and not to use calcium supplement. Use them only if your doctor suggests you use them.
This is a super delicious recipe for vegetable patties:
1 cup grated carrots
2 cups grated cabbage
2 cups french beans, chopped 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
4 brown bread slices
How to prepare:
Steam cabbage and carrots in a pan. When half cooked, add the chopped french beans and cook until completely done.
When cool, add spices, flour and bread slices (soaked in water and drained by squeezing between the palms), coriander leaves and the lime juice.
Make 12 balls and flatten each into a patty (the size of a small burger). Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and place patties in the saucepan, two or three at a time without crowding.
Flip patties over when cooked, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve hot.