Aloe vera is a cactus-like plant which grows in tropical climates and has been used for centuries for its medicinal properties.
From the gel that is in the plant’s leaves, it is possible to make aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel.
You can use aloe vera gel to benefit your hair, but you don’t need to restrict yourself to the gel, as there are also benefits for using the aloe vera juice for hair as well.
Aloe vera still plays an important role in Ayurvedic medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) today. For example, in Ayurvedic medicine aloe vera is used to improve digestion, reduce inflammation both internally and externally.
In addition, aloe vera gel and aloe vera juice may help to treat hair loss. In TCM, aloe vera juice and the gel are used in a similar way.
I’ve already covered some of the uses of aloe vera juice in my article on why you should start drinking aloe vera juice, including how much you should drink and some precautions.
I’ve also written about the amazing benefits and uses of aloe vera for skin, but this article will explore whether aloe vera gel and aloe vera juice can be good for hair. First of all, let’s have a look at the general health benefits of aloe vera.
The Health Benefits of Aloe Vera Juice and Aloe Vera Gel
Many studies into the medicinal uses of aloe vera confirm that it contains many therapeutic properties. Among these are that aloe vera:
- Contains healing properties which help soothe the skin and heal wounds
- Can help boost the immune system
- Has protective effect against radiation damage to the skin
- Helps to moisturize the skin and reduce appearance of wrinkles
- Has a laxative effect
Aloe vera also contains many vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids which means that aloe vera juice can be very good for you when maintaining the recommended intake.
What Makes Aloe Vera Good for Hair?
You can use both aloe vera gel and aloe vera juice to benefit your hair.
Many of the therapeutic properties of aloe vera make it great as a topical application to keep your scalp healthy and your hair looking great.
You can use aloe vera as a hair mask, to condition your hair, or you can add some aloe vera juice or gel to your shampoo.
Aloe vera acts as a great conditioner that moisturize the hair, leaves the hair smooth and shiny and controls frizz.
Why exactly is aloe vera so good for your hair?
First of all, it contains many vitamins and minerals, as well as many active enzymes. Among the vitamins, aloe vera contains are vitamins A, C, E, and B12, all of which are essential for a healthy scalp. For example, vitamins A, C, and E are antioxidants and help to keep the scalp free from free radicals.
Aloe vera has anti inflammatory and antiseptic properties.1 These properties can help soothe and moisturize an itchy scalp and keep the scalp free from dandruff, or relieve other conditions such as psoriasis and seborrhea. Aloe vera also contain enzymes which help to unclog hair follicles from dead skin.
Can aloe vera really help with hair growth?
There have been no specific medical studies carried out into whether aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel can help in preventing hair loss or stimulating hair re-growth, and the evidence is anecdotal only.
It is known, however, that many of the above mentioned therapeutic benefits of aloe vera can help in promoting the growth of healthy hair and keeping the scalp healthy.
How To Use Aloe Vera Gel and Aloe Vera Juice for Hair?
How can you use all the amazing benefits of aloe vera to bring back that shine to your hair? There are many different ways that you can use both aloe vera juice and aloe vera gel to have great looking hair.
You can use aloe vera gel or juice on their own or combine them with other natural ingredients, such as lemon juice, vinegar, honey or natural oil to make your hair soft, clear and conditioned.
You can also mix them with your shampoo, conditioner or other hair products.
Most people buy pure aloe vera gel because it is easier to use than trying to extract the gel from the plant. When you are looking for aloe vera gel, always read the product label and look for aloe vera gel which has the highest amount of aloe vera and has the fewest additives as possible.
Aloe Vera Gel As Hair Conditioning Mask
One of the best ways to use aloe vera to promote a healthy scalp and get great looking hair is to make a deep-conditioning hair mask.
Here is how to deep-condition your hair with aloe vera:
- After washing, massage aloe vera gel into your hair. Make sure you cover all the strands of hair from the roots to the tips.
- Put a steam cap over your head and, using a hairdryer, apply heat for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse out the aloe vera and style your hair as usual.
- To get even deeper conditioning, you can leave the aloe vera in your hair overnight and rinse out in the morning.
Aloe Vera Gel and Olive Oil for Deep Conditioning
Olive oil is one of the best natural oils for your hair, it is a great hair conditioner which also provides deep moisturization. To use olive oil together with aloe vera, this is what you should do:
- Mix equal parts of aloe vera gel and extra virgin olive oil.
- Massage into your scalp and hair, using a comb to make sure that all the hair strands are covered.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair as usual.
Aloe Vera Juice as a Pre-Wash for your Hair
You can also use the therapeutic properties of aloe vera juice as a pre-wash for your hair. To do this, this is what you should do:
- Mix equal parts of aloe vera juice, coconut milk, and wheat germ oil or any other natural oil, such as avocado oil or sweet almond oil.
- Massage the liquid into your scalp, making sure that you cover all the hair strands.
- Leave for 10 minutes before washing your hair as normal.
- This can help to get rid of dandruff and remove dead skin cells from your scalp.
If you want to make a thicker pre-wash application, you can substitute aloe vera juice for aloe vera gel.
Aloe Vera Gel Shampoo or Conditioner
Aloe vera gel can also be used together with your shampoo or conditioner. All you have to do is mix well aloe vera gel with your regular shampoo or conditioner and wash as usual.
This will leave your hair feeling smooth with a lot less frizz.
Aloe Vera Gel and Lemon Juice as a Conditioner
After washing your hair, you can use a mixture of aloe vera gel and lemon juice to condition your hair. This can help especially if you have oily hair. This is what you should do:
- Mix 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel with the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
- Add 3-5 drops of either peppermint, tea tree, or rosemary essential oils.
- Shampoo your hair as usual, but before rinsing, apply the mixture to your shampooed hair.
- Leave it in for 3-5 minutes.
- Rinse your hair.
Aloe Vera Gel for Dandruff
You can also combine aloe vera gel with tea tree oil to specifically target an itchy scalp and dandruff. Tea tree oil has powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties and has many uses. To use aloe vera to get rid of dandruff, this is what you should do:
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to some aloe vera gel.
- You can add a little bit of water or rose water to get a less thick consistency.
- Gently massage the mixture into your scalp, concentrating especially on the affected areas.
- Leave for one hour before washing out.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
Aloe Vera Shampoo
If you want a natural shampoo, you can easily make your own aloe vera shampoo. This is what you need:
- 1/4 cup of Castile soap
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel
- 1/4 cup distilled water
- 1 tsp. of glycerine (optional).
- 1 tsp. of vitamin E oil.
- A few drops of essential oil, such as tea tree, lavender, or rosemary.
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl with a spoon or a whisk. Carefully pour into a bottle.
It will be easier if you have a bottle that has a pump action on it. You can then use your homemade aloe vera shampoo as you would use any shampoo. Just remember to always shake well before use.
It’s important to follow with an acidic conditioning rinse. This is because Castile soap is very alkaline, so the acidic rinse (such as with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar) will help to restore the pH.
Here is how to make an apple cider vinegar hair rinse:.
- In a spray bottle, mix 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar (ACV) with one cup of water.
- After rinsing the Castile soap from your hair, apply the ACV rinse.
- Gently massage into your scalp and hair and leave for few minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- This works so great on your hair that you won’t need a conditioner afterwards.
Aloe Vera For Hair Growth.
To use the benefits of aloe vera to promote healthy hair growth, you can use it together with coconut oil which has many benefits for your hair.
I have detailed instructions on how to combine aloe vera with coconut oil in my article about DIY coconut oil and aloe vera gel lotion which can benefit both your skin and hair.
To this mixture you can add a few drops of peppermint or rosemary essential oils that promote hair growth.