Chia Seeds … are you adding them into your smoothies, oatmeal, cereal, and baking recipes? If not, you may want to! These tiny little seeds are packed full of nutrition!
They don’t have a taste, but they do gel up, a bit like tapioca. They thicken smoothies and puddings nicely, if you allow them to soak for a while. 1 serving of Chia Seeds (1 tablespoon), contains 6 grams of Fiber, 2.9 grams of Omega 3, and 3 grams of protein! Amazing, right?! Here are some more fantastic facts about Chia Seeds making them incredibly enticing!
- Chia Seeds are gluten-free
- They contain 20% of your Omega 3’s, making them heart healthy and a great brain food
- They are quite high in Fiber, aiding in digestion
- Chia Seeds are made up of 20% Protein
- They are very high in Antioxidants
- Chia Seeds help to balance your blood sugar levels (making them especially great for Diabetics)
- They can be used as an egg replacement in baking recipes
Chia seeds combined with the creaminess of the almond milk, heartiness of the almond butter, and sweetness of the banana and honey make for a very tasty smoothie! If you aren’t a fan of almond butter, you can simply replace with natural peanut butter for the same consistency and overall yumminess! Also, if you choose to sweeten this smoothie, you can use raw honey, or a serving of fresh pitted dates!
You can enjoy this healthy delight for breakfast or as a mid-afternoon snack.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or a few pitted dates (optional – to add sweetness)
- Pour almond milk into blender.
- Sprinkle in chia seeds and allow to sit for a few minutes
- Add in the remaining ingredients dates, and a few pieces of ice. Blend well until smooth and creamy!
- Serve immediately! Enjoy!
- Preparation time 5 minutes.