Salads are a perfect meal, mainly because they are so easy to prepare, but also because they are packed with all the good nutrients your body needs daily. There is no right or wrong way to prepare a salad, but some salads are better than the others.
This Mango-Ginger salad is excellent for you. The main two ingredients are rich in antioxidants, especially those cancer-fighting. They also boost your immune strength, eye health, and lower your cholesterol levels. All these super nutrition comes from a mango.
Ginger is good for you because it fights chronic inflammation, which can lead to illness, it fights and protects against cancer, and it helps with the Alzheimer’s disease.
Another spice you should put into this salad is cilantro (coriander). It is a delicious spice herb which enrichens every dish.
Here is the recipe and how to prepare this wonderful salad.
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- ¼ cup of golden raisins
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar (or red-wine vinegar if you have gluten sensitivity)
- 1 fresh green Thai, serrano or small jalapeño chile, stemmed and finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 large ripe but firm mango, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 cups of mesclun, or other mixed baby salad greens (Try buying whole heads of lettuce as they are cheaper, and you can store them easily)
- to start with the dressing, place raisins and boiling water in a small bowl. Let them soften for half an hour or longer, and then drain thoroughly. Transfer the raisins to a blender. Add oil, vinegar, cilantro, ginger, chile and salt. Puree the stuff, scraping the sides as needed, until smooth. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the dressing.
- to prepare the salad, place the greens in a large bowl and toss with the remaining dressing. Divide among 6 plates. Place mango and bell pepper in the bowl
- add the reserved tablespoon of dressing and toss to coat. Top the greens with the mango mixture. Serve immediately.