There are three ways of regulating blood pH. Since the carbon dioxide is mildly acidic, the levels of it can be controlled by breathing rate. If we run, we produce lactic acid and carbon dioxide. Kidneys too can eliminate excess acid in the process of urination. The blood is also filled with a chemical combo, buffers, that work just be resisting and changes in pH.
The body has to maintain pH within specific pH range, an acidic pH levels in our body can cause degenerative and autoimmune diseases. This condition can have bad effects on metabolism, accumulation of fluid and edema, and a big impact energy level. This can lead to morning sickness, osteoporosis, stroke, arthritis, cancer, obesity and all other severe diseases.
pH can be disrupted with everything we eat or drink. Meat and dairy products are acidic, and foods like vegetables and fruits are alkaline. We need both of foods in our diet, so our body will have appropriate pH levels.
You can always buy inexpensive pH strips and test your pH. Also, you can test your urine if you want more accurate results. Do this testing first thing in the morning, but keep in mind that first urine can be a bit more acidic, so the second urine test in the morning will show the best results.
Here are a few tips and tricks to make your body alkaline:
- Eat fresh organic fruits and veggies. Try eating kelp, cayenne, barley grass, or drinking a green smoothie in the morning.
- Avoid fried foods and refined sugar.
- Squeeze the juice of half lemon in the glass of warm water, and add a half teaspoon of baking soda. Drink this first thing in the morning.
- Use natural conditioner, shampoo and body wash. The same goes for toothpaste, lotions, facial creams and soap.
- Eat organic, grass-fed animal products.
Fruits with a high alkaline level:
Vegetables with a high alkaline level:
- Collard greens
- Mustard greens
- Winter squash
- Sweet potatoes/Yams
Nuts, Seeds, Herbs and Spices with a high alkaline level:
- Sea salt
- Ginger root
- Pumpkin seeds
Beverages with a high alkaline level:
- Mineral water
- Ginger tea