With bundles of fruit, vegetables, fish, poultry and grains, this meal plan will have you feeling bright and ready for Summer.
The summer season is bountiful for the options you have when it comes to healthy produce, allowing you to easily enjoy a diet with high antioxidants and unsaturated (the good kind!) fats. Some of these options can even be grilled, so get outside and get cooking!
Also remember; if you don’t like some of the ingredients in some of these recipes feel free to switch them, just make sure the substitutions you make are for equally low-calorie options.
Feel free to enjoy any of the following anytime without risking your weight loss goals: water, flavored water, diet soda and diet iced tea. The diet varieties in drinks often have the same taste but without the unwanted sugar!
We advise that you don’t drink more than 3 cups of tea/coffee a day, especially if you take it with sugar. They’re called hidden calories for a reason – 1 teaspoon of sugar contains 16 of them! Cutting down on these is a simple way to shed those lbs, so avoid or switch to decaf.
Breakfast: Fluffy pancakes
- Mix 1 large egg, 1 1/2 cups low fat yogurt, 1 cup whole-wheat pancake mix and 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- Make sure the mixture is thick and pour it into a pan
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat, turning halfway.
Lunch: Chickpea Salad
- Combine 7 1/2 ounces canned chickpeas (drained) 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 1/4 cup chopped white onion, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 tablespoon sliced black olives, 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Mix the contents thoroughly
- Serve over a bed of lettuce.
Snack: Crackers and dip
- Spread 2 tablespoons hummus onto 1 wasa crispbread cracker.
- Serve with 1 fresh plum.
Dinner: Chicken Kabobs
- Slice 4 ounces raw chicken breast into chunks and skewer onto a kabob stick
- Marinate overnight (or at least 30 minutes) in 1/4 cup italian dressing.
- Slice 1/2 white onion and 1/2 green pepper.
- Add intermittently to kabob with cherry tomatoes
- Throw on the grill then enjoy.
Daily calorie total: 1,469
Carbohydrate: 209 g
Percent of daily calories from carbohydrates: 64%
Saturated fat: 4 g
Percent of daily calories from saturated fat: 2%
Fat: 25 g
Percent of daily calories from fat: 15%
Protein: 81 g
Fiber: 35 g
Percent of daily calories from protein: 22%
Cholesterol: 120 mg
Calcium: 1,150 mg
Sodium: 3,005 mg